Love for Reading
At Hazelbury we are passionate about developing a love for reading and creating life-long readers. Our work with both The New Wave English Hub and National Literacy Trust has encouraged our community to put reading at the heart of what we do.
KS2 children vote on their class 'Love for Reading' book from our Reading Spine, which teachers read to their children every day.
In our EYFS and KS1 children vote daily on the story their teacher will share with them.
Staff recommend new books to children to encourage them to try new authors and genres and these are displayed around the school for all to see.
Every classroom has a social reading environment where children can recommend texts to each other.
Other ways we develop a love for reading:
- Children visit our school library and Edmonton Green library
- Pop up book hut - free books for children to keep
- Outdoor reading areas
- Book fair
- Parents invited to join us for our reading cafes
- Marcus Rashford book club
- Generation of stories
- Secret reading missions
- Reading for pleasure time
- Author visits
- Theatre visits
- Discover story centre
- Bringing Books to life workshops
- World Book day celebrations